About the Job
Mission Minded, a strategy firm that works solely with nonprofit organizations, foundations, and schools, is looking for a great strategic planning consultant to work with us on a project-by-project basis on behalf of our outstanding clients. This is not a full-time position and is ideal for someone with an existing or newly created consulting practice.
- You are a strategic thinker and problem solver with excellent communications skills who understands that listening well is as important as talking.
- You are passionate about helping mission-driven organizations to define their vision, mission, and values and develop a strategic plan that will help them achieve their next level of greatness.
- You are a dynamic presenter and facilitator who is adept at conducting in-person, Zoom, and hybrid client meetings and creative working sessions.
- You are experienced in conducting qualitative and quantitative research, identifying threats and opportunities, and presenting in-depth analysis and findings.
- You use your expertise to create actionable strategic plans that inform culture, not just operations, and delight in setting up clients for successful implementation.
- You enjoy leading clients toward bold opportunities and strive to ensure Mission Minded delights clients throughout the strategic planning engagement.
- You are adept at building relationships with client leadership to guide them toward successful outcomes.
- We’re deeply committed to creating an inclusive environment where diverse voices partake in all aspects of our company and have been actively working on overall DEI internal practices for several years. You can learn more about our commitments here.
- We’ve been a virtual office since our founding in 2002. We know how to create a strong culture remotely, and we’re energized knowing that every person who joins our small company contributes to that culture. We successfully create opportunities for connections with colleagues in many ways.
- We take our company values seriously and invite you to discuss them with any of our employees throughout the interview process. You can learn more about them here.
- We’ve developed a very strong reputation in the nonprofit community. Much of our business comes through referrals from previous clients. We’re proud of that. So, we set high standards for our work, and we’re very committed to excellent customer service.
- Co-lead projects as one of two key client liaisons.
- Co-lead client brainstorming meetings and group work sessions.
- Design and conduct research appropriate for client needs and budgets; experience in quantitative and quantitative research is a must.
- Write compelling Vision, Mission and Values and present them confidently to clients.
- Write, or contribute to, findings, situation summaries and SWOT analyses.
- Manage project timelines, schedule meetings, and facilitate workflow, as needed.
- Travel for client meetings and work sessions, as needed.
Our Ideal Candidate Has
- Minimum seven to ten years paid experience working in the strategic planning field or at a strategic planning agency or firm.
- An analytical mind with problem-solving aptitude and strong project management skills.
- Proven experience conducting market research and data analysis.
- The ability to be a dynamic presenter and session facilitator
- Excellent writing and exceptional communications skills
- Experience working with nonprofit organizations or schools
- A strong commitment to, and lived experience with, racial justice, equity, and inclusion work
- Fluent user of Microsoft Office, Keynote, Basecamp 3, Slack, Trello, Google Analytics, Google Suite, Survey Monkey
- You will work in teams with Director-level colleagues, and other Strategists as the project dictates. You’ll often act as a project lead for a nonprofit or independent school (with plenty of coaching from us first!) At times, you’ll partner with more junior strategists and will be encouraged to develop their strategic planning acumen.
- Although Mission Minded is a for-profit company, our clients work with limited budgets and often within constrained resources; our Mission Minded project compensation reflects that reality. For many Strategists, there is a qualitative compensation in supporting the work our clients are doing to make the world a better place.
- Applicants must be comfortable engaging in dialogue with others about social and racial justice and using communications to advance anti-racist practices.
- Applicants must live in the contiguous US and be legally authorized to work here.
- This is a contract-based position. You will be expected to work from your own office, using your own technology, including an Apple computer, software, and phone.
Cover letters present a wonderful opportunity for us to get to know you better. Therefore, please be sure to send BOTH your resume and cover letter. Resumes without cover letters will not be considered. No phone calls, please—we promise to respond via email.
About the Company
Mission Minded is a branding firm that works with nonprofits, foundations, independent and public schools, colleges and universities. We believe that a brand that sets you apart is essential to a nonprofit’s success. Every day we guide our clients to uncover the big, bold idea that will attract more people to their work. Because in today’s world, a worthy mission is not enough. You’ve got to communicate what makes you unique at every opportunity.
No Salary Provided by Employer